The great thing about planning a rustic bath remodeling project is that there are so many ways you can go about it. Home Remodeling Center shares a list of the key elements a rustic bathroom should have.
- Wood Furniture – The important thing to remember about rustic design is it should look weathered or lived-in. Reclaimed or repurposed wood captures that rustic look better than newly cut wood. Make it a point to ensure the wood is properly treated against moisture. Bathrooms have high humidity levels, which could warp or soften the wood.
- Metal Accents – As with wood, metal should look weathered, not rusted. Aluminum and stainless steel tend to add a modern look, but other metals such as brass or bronze can achieve the desired rustic effect. Both metals also develop a beautiful green patina that further enhances the rustic look.
- Bathroom Fixtures – Manufacturers offer fixtures in different finishes, so it shouldn’t be hard to find matching fixtures for your metal accents. Fixtures with modern functionalities such as levers can look out of place in your rustic bath remodeling project, so you should look for cross handles and ornate designs instead. Copper bathtubs are also a great touch, but they can take a lot of space.
- Repurposed Items – Choosing repurposed or vintage items as bathroom decor is a matter of taste and style. For instance, you can choose clean mason jars as toothbrush containers, or perhaps vintage bottles as flower vases. The key thing to remember about using repurposed items for decor is to choose a few but meaningful items, in order to avoid clutter. This is especially important if you have a small bathroom, as you have to make sure each piece counts.
- Flooring – Flooring is a major remodeling component and it can be the element that makes everything work together. Wood flooring is a popular choice but like wood furniture, you should use treated wood to avoid warping. Another option is to choose laminates or composites that achieve the same rustic look, minus the maintenance requirements of wood.
To learn more about bath remodeling and our other remodeling services, call Home Remodeling Center today at (760) 410-6005. You can also fill out our contact form to schedule a free estimate. We serve many areas in San Diego, San Marcos and Rancho Bernardo, CA.